Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Heritage by Addie Hunter

http://amzn.to/2qU4slF

Recently I received a paperback copy of Heritage by Addie Hunter for review. This is a young-adult sci-fi novel with a little bit of strong language. I had high hopes for it, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't like it.

The idea behind Heritage is interesting. Some small town high-school students acquired super powers. They don costumes and help their fellow citizens, but they can't tell anyone about it. I enjoyed the contrast between their heroic acts and their day-to-day teenage interactions.

But the execution of this story didn't come off so well. I wish the author had taken more time developing her work and cleaning up the plot. A good editor would have been much appreciated as well. This book was littered with technical problems, omitted words, and run-on sentences.



The most confusing factor was that there were too many characters in the story. Most of the secondary characters could have been condensed into just a few. I had a hard time keeping the names of anyone straight. I had an even harder time remembering which superhero was which high-school student. There were six superheroes. That's twelve names to sort out. Plus all of their friends and some family. It's just too much.

And don't even get me started on the mess of dialogue.

On the positive side, I thought it was cute how the superheroes were so often insecure with their newfound powers. They weren't quite sure of themselves even in terms of the outfits and accessories they'd chosen. And a few of them were very unhappy with the names they'd been given by the media. That was a well thought-out plot point.

Addie Hunter put a ton of information into this short novel. The story is definitely creative, but I don't think the craft is quite there. However, Heritage did end on a high note in terms of action and excitement. I'm hoping that the subsequent novels in the Transcend series will be more concise because this first installment had so much potential.


No comments:

Post a Comment