Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Hannah's Moon by John A. Heldt



Hannah's Moon is the fifth in the American Journey series by John A. Heldt. I've had the pleasure of reading two of the other titles. So far I've really enjoyed this creative series. You can read my reviews of Class of '59 and Indiana Belle.

In Hannah's Moon we meet Claire and Ron who are anxious to start a family. They turn to adoption, but the process is long. Then Claire's uncle offers them the unique opportunity to travel to a time when adoption will be easier. He sends them to 1945.

I had mixed feelings about Hannah's Moon. Heldt's story broke my heart right off the bat. I was blindsided by a twist in the very beginning. But the story slowed down significantly after that. There was a lot of talking and not much going on until well into the second half of the book. It did pick up later on, however. The action then sucked me back in. I'm just disappointed that it took so long to get there.

I tend to overthink small details. One of the details that was never explained was why Claire and Ron needed to stay in 1945, travel to Tennessee, and complete the adoption process. Clearly any documents they took from 1945 would be worthless in proving the adoption of a toddler in 2017. If Uncle Geoffrey is so good at forging documents, all they needed to do was go to an agency, start the adoption process, and then go right back to their own time with the child. There was no clear reason to stick around for a court hearing. I understand there wouldn't be any story in that, but it was a loose end in the back of my mind throughout the whole story.

Another detail that irked me involved Claire transitioning into the time period. Rather, I was annoyed that she didn't need to make any adjustments at all. She's a 21st Century working woman. Then she goes back to 1945 and steps right into the role of housewife and mother. Very few modern women would have an easy time keeping a house and feeding their family without modern conveniences. Not to mention diapering a baby without Pampers and baby wipes. But there's no mention of any of that. It would have been nice to see this explored.

Although Hannah's Moon is part of a series, it can be read as a standalone book without any confusion. But I recommend reading American Journey from the beginning because it is an interesting and creative series. If you love time travel novels as much as I do, this is one collection you shouldn't miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment