Friday, March 10, 2017

Didn't Get Frazzled by David Z. Hirsch



I was looking for a book that was different from any of the 30+ books I reviewed last year. When I was presented with Didn't Get Frazzled I knew that was it. A novel about medical school-- pretty much as different as I could get. I work with doctors, so I was interested in getting a sense of what the whole medical school experience was like. Hirsch did a great job of introducing characters with the variety of personalities I expected to find in a group of doctor hopefuls.

Didn't Get Frazzled isn't about as much of the technical parts of medical school as it was the personal and emotional toll this unique education takes on the main character Seth. There were quite a few cringe-worthy scenes, so if you have a weak stomach I would recommend you skip it. Hirsch's account of Seth's first gynecology lesson was so real and vivid that I could almost literally feel his instructor's pain. The book was sprinkled with these kinds of experiences which were sometimes funny, sometimes sad, and sometimes a mixture of both.

Unfortunately for Seth, his long-time relationship suffers through his intense schedule and eventually succumbs to the pressure. I felt that Hirsch did an amazing job of illustrating the stress and sacrifice of becoming a physician. 

I recommend Didn't Get Frazzled to anyone who knows a doctor, wants to be a doctor, or wants to relive the insanity of medical school. It definitely gave me a greater appreciation for the doctors in my life.

You can get your copy from Amazon. Be sure to visit the author's website for more information and more reviews.



No comments:

Post a Comment