Sunday, February 5, 2017

Ordinary Mystic by Curran Galway



When I took on Ordinary Mystic I was expecting something spiritually inspiring. After all, regardless of our chosen faiths, it feels good to be inspired by another person's spiritual journey.

But the book turned out to be something different. At first it was tedious and I wondered if I would have to spend 400+ pages at a Catholic retreat or talking to God in a closet. Then it turned into something else.

SPOILER ALERT: It became a somewhat smutty novel about a not-yet-divorced woman's affair with a priest. That took me by surprise. Not that I'm a prude, but that's not the type of mood my brain had been prepared for when I started the book. The somewhat graphic sex scenes and the violent moments didn't gel with the spiritual promises at the beginning of the story.

I had a hard time finishing Ordinary Mystic, but I did. Don't get me wrong, I think that Curran Galway is a talented story-teller. I just think the book should be presented as 'Light Catholic Erotica' instead of 'Spiritual Transformation'.

If you're into that kind of thing, though, I recommend this book. It is well-written and compelling. It's just not the kind of story I was looking for.


No comments:

Post a Comment