Friday, February 24, 2017

Blue Moon Vegan by Paula Marie Coomer

http://amzn.to/2lE7pW0

First I'll say that I'm not vegan. I classify myself as a flexitarian; I'm not a fan of meat, but I eat it on occasion. So I was really happy for the opportunity to review Blue Moon Vegan, a cookbook free of animal products of any kind. I've wondered for a while how a vegan diet would fit into my busy life.

The recipes in Blue Moon Vegan are clear and easy to follow, for the most part. There were quite a few ingredients that I had to purchase for my pantry, like Veganaise and agave syrup. Some elements required extra preparation, such as those with "eggs." But those would probably be regular ingredients to a true vegan.

My favorite recipe was the Chick Salad, which is similar to a chicken salad for sandwiches. There was a little hiccup with the instructions as the recipe called for miso but didn't specify powder or paste. In the end I chose to substitute with tahini and soy sauce because I didn't want to invest in the very expensive ingredient that I might never use again.

I made vegan bread in my bread machine and served the sandwiches to my coworkers. It was a hit. The flavor was outstanding, even with the miso substitute. I can't wait to make it again.

Most of these dishes look like they would appeal to anyone, not strickly vegans. And trying some of them out has made me more confident that I could cater to friends without using animal products. I'm excited to try a few more recipes.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! Paula and I are thrilled that you enjoyed these recipes and we greatly appreciate your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was the yummiest book I've reviewed all year.

      Delete
  2. P.S. The Most Honorable Hummus recipe is amazing!

    ReplyDelete