Sunday, January 15, 2017

Death by Roses by Vivian R. Probst



The story of Mae Rose's death is heartbreaking. She's just had a giant misunderstanding with her underappreciated husband Art. In the midst of it she dies in a humiliating fashion, leaves her body, and is mortified to see herself in a grotesque way. After all, she has spent her life caring about how she's perceived by other people.

Death by Roses is a wonderfully creative story. Vivian Probst has illustrated for her readers a unique and interesting view of the afterlife. The story didn't grab my interest much until Mae Rose died and crossed over, only to be scolded by her deceased mother. But it was a good grab.

My only issue with the book was that there were too many characters. I had a hard time keeping them straight and sometimes had to flip back to previous chapters to remember who they all were.

Some chapters were dedicated to side characters such as the old woman's nurse and her romantic venture with the creepy doctor. This was a great side story, but it wasn't at all necessary to the story. I would like to have seen their story possibly as a follow-up novel to Death by Roses.

Regardless, it's definitely a novel worth reading. There's plenty of humor, but it also raises questions for the reader that they may or may not want to deal with such as "Am I appreciative enough of the important people in my life?"


1 comment:

  1. This book seems like such a interesting story, I'll have to add it to my TBR

    ReplyDelete