Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Who Left the Cork Out of My Lunch? by Vicki Claflin




http://amzn.to/1sNuzvj

Vicki Claflin, writer of the award-winning blog Laugh Lines, has written a fun and informative book about being a woman over fifty. I'm not quite there yet, but I did relate to Claflin's insecurities on aging. Also, Who Left the Cork Out of My Lunch? gave me a valuable look into my not-too-distant future.

Most of the book's chapters are broken down into lists. I love lists. I make them all the time on scraps of paper, lose them, and make them again. That's normal, right?

I laughed through much of the book, which was weird when I was waiting for the end of my daughter's ballet class in a room full of other moms. I couldn't help it because Claflin's humor is spot-on. She's put a comfortable and sisterly spin on getting older. I found myself agreeing on many of her points. Example: One of her pet peeves is tights worn as pants.
"When leggings became hot, apparently people became confused about what actually constitutes pants. Leggings are heavier and more opaque, providing the same coverage as pants, just skinnier. Tights are much less sheer, showing the rest of us your cellulite, your underwear, and your lady bush."
YES! I've been saying this for years. So much this.

I especially enjoyed Chapter 18: The 12 Stupidest Love Songs. OMG YES! I'm also one to over-analyze song lyrics to the point where they drive me nuts every time I hear them. Just ask any of my friends. Go ahead. I'll wait.

I recommend Who Left the Cork Out of My Lunch? to any woman who needs a reason to laugh at her aging self. It's a humorous memoir punctuated with quotes from women about aging. And, yes. I do realize that I've said I don't review memoirs and this is the third memoir I've reviewed. I don't even know what to say for myself. People just keep sending me good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment