Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Indiana Belle by John A Heldt

http://amzn.to/1tpDFyJ
Providence, Rhode Island, 2017. When doctoral student Cameron Coelho, 28, opens a package from Indiana, he finds more than private papers that will help him with his dissertation. He finds a photograph of a beautiful society editor murdered in 1925 and clues to a century-old mystery. Within days, he meets Geoffrey Bell, the "time-travel professor," and begins an unlikely journey through the Roaring Twenties. Filled with history, romance, and intrigue, INDIANA BELLE follows a lonely soul on the adventure of a lifetime as he searches for love and answers in the age of Prohibition, flappers, and jazz.




I've had the pleasure of reading some great independently-published books this year and Indiana Belle is one of the best. Time travel is one of my favorite subjects in fiction, so I was excited when I was asked for a review. These kinds of stories can be tricky and sometimes overly complicated. But Indiana Belle far exceeded my expectations.

Like all time travel stories, Indiana Belle started with the setup, the discovery of the time travel capability, and the character's desire to go to a particular time. The setup here was necessary but quick. As soon as Cameron stepped into 1925, I couldn't put the book down.

John A. Heldt writes in a fluid prose with easy and natural conversation. I felt the story moved quickly because he didn't get bogged down in details. Few time travel novels can boast the same.

Indiana Belle is one in a series of American Journey books by Heldt. However, it's a stand-alone novel so readers don't need to read the first two to enjoy this one. I will be checking out the rest of the series when I get a chance.

1 comment:

  1. This has everything I would enjoy in a book- romance, time travel, murder and intrigue and easy to read.
    I'm putting this to my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete