Sunday, May 1, 2016

Cape May by Holly Caster

Well, it's May already. So why not review a book with "May" in the title? See what I did there?

Let me just tell you all, loyal readers, that Cape May is so far my absolute favorite read of 2016. I've been waiting for a book with romantic tension to tie my stomach in knots and this was it.

Let me just put this out there: I'll be forty-one this month. There, I said it. This means that I don't care so much about the twenty-something, lonely blonde who falls for her rough-exterior handyman with mad cooking skills who can't ever keep his shirt on. And there are not a ton of romance novels out there for the truly grown-up reader.

Here's the book's Amazon blurb:

http://amzn.to/21o0qP4"New Yorker Joanna Matthews is rapidly approaching 60 and desperate for a change. The last remotely daring thing she did—jumping into an unconventional marriage with her best friend Brian—happened 20 years ago. Now, their life’s comfortable, if routine. Joanna craves more and begins pursuing her long-deferred dream: owning and running a bed & breakfast. She’s captivated by Cape May, New Jersey, America's Oldest Seaside Resort. On the bus south, she meets a novelist, and is thunderstruck when she falls passionately in love for the first time. How will her late awakening affect the future and her three-decade relationship with Brian?"


The way the author presents Joanna's dilemma is sensitive and at times heartbreaking. The characters were so real that I found myself emotionally torn about which way I wanted the story to go. After I hit the second half of the book I couldn't put it down (and may have neglected some of my responsibilities).

Caster has a great talent for writing natural-sounding dialogue and Cape May is heavy with dialogue. The conversations between Joanna and Michael when they first met went on for pages without boring or losing the reader.

Again, I loved this book. I loved seeing older characters in relatable situations. And I would love to see more from Holly Caster.





p.s. If you want to see more of Cape May, New Jersey, I suggest Cape May's Gingerbread Gems for visual inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment