Saturday, April 9, 2016

Life Lessons from Grandpa and His Chicken Coop by Jacob Paul Patchen

A Playful Journey Through Some Serious Sh*t

When I was asked to review Life Lessons from Grandpa and His Chicken Coop, I hesitated. It's not the kind of book I usually read. I specifically don't read memoirs (I think this is the second time I've mentioned that in a review of a memoir). And I was never a boy growing up on a farm. I was a girl growing up in the city. So I agreed to review Life Lessons because it's not the kind of book I usually read. I wanted to know what these guys and these chickens knew that I didn't know.

Life Lessons is a humorous account of the lessons Patchen learned while growing up next door to his grandpa's farm. I was immediately impressed by Patchen's storytelling and conversational writing style. He has masterfully crafted vivid descriptions of life on a farm. Sometimes they were a little too vivid for lunchtime reading. I mean, there's a lot of chicken sh*t in this book. Other times Patchen's writing gave me goosebumps. After all, not all of his grandpa's life lessons revolved around stealing eggs from chickens.

However, at times it was hard to get past the lack of professional editing for this book. I was easily distracted by Patchen's excessive and sometimes inappropriate use of commas. I believe that a professional edit of Life Lessons from Grandpa and His Chicken Coop is the only thing standing in the way of this memoir becoming a major success.
My Favorite Quote:
"This may or may not also be why I slept with a pocket knife underneath my pillow for the majority of my youth--to keep those psycho chickens from making num-nums out of my nose pickers."



No comments:

Post a Comment