Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Why wasn't my review accepted?

The Internet is full of book review blogs similar to this one. Most of these bloggers are backlogged with books to read, which makes finding a reviewer for your own book a nearly impossible task. Nevermind the Furthermore has only been up for a few months and my calendar is already full through the summer.

Unfortunately, most of the requests that I get are moved to my "Rejected" folder. Usually the reason is that the book just didn't catch my interest. Sometimes a book is rejected because I've recently promised a review for a book that's very similar. I'm trying to keep Nevermind diverse.

But some requests are rejected quickly and it has nothing to do with the book itself. Here are some reasons your request may have been tossed at first glance:

You didn't tell me anything about the book. Remember, you can't judge a book by its cover or its title.
There were no links in the email to back up your request. I always research a book and/or its author before I agree to do a review.
Your book falls outside of my list of types of books I like to read. Seriously, when I specifically say I don't read a genre I really mean it.
You offered only to send your book in a format I don't accept. I'm not flexible on this at all.
Your email was poorly written and full of grammatical errors. You're a writer. You have to be able to write. Unfortunately, some self-published authors choose to skip the professional editing process, resulting in a painful read. I have no way of knowing if you're one of those authors. An incoherent email will not build faith in your work.


That's it. And good luck.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always amazed when writers or publishers want you to read their book but aren't willing to read and pay attention to your rules. (It's the same with people who don't read signs. "Why don't you have an after hours book drop?" "We do. Just follow the big, giant, brightly colored signs at the exit and entrance of all of our parking lots.")

    I mean, I get that sometimes you pitch yourself for things you maybe don't qualify for- but in that case you put a whole lot of effort into convincing the "buyer" of why you should be the exception. You don't just "Pick me because!" and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete