Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are by Dr. Seuss


Today I'm reviewing my very favorite Dr. Seuss book in honor of his birthday. Theodor Seuss Geisel was born this day in 1904. His books are notoriously colorful and silly but some are filled cover to cover with profound wisdom.

Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? was my favorite Dr. Seuss book as a child. I loved the rhythm of the poetry, but mostly I was fascinated with the detail in the pictures on every page. Sometimes I would stare at those pictures long after my mom had finished reading the story.

In this story, a boy visits an old man perched on a cactus in the middle of the desert. The old man proceeds to remind the boy how good he has it by telling him of people and creatures who are trouble in the most creative, Seuss-style ways. 

When I was in high school I rediscovered my hardcover copy in the back of my closet. I read it out of nostalgia, but found that it had taken on different meaning. The silly rhymes that made me giggle as a little girl were actually hiding brilliant life advice. Whenever I felt that teenage angst creeping in I would let Dr. Seuss remind me in his absurd way that things could be worse. So I kept the book on my shelf by my bed and took it out whenever I needed a boost. 
 
I still own the same hardcover copy today. I read it to my kids whenever they'll let me. But I always get choked up at certain parts, like when Harry Haddow can't make a shadow. And my eyes always well up for poor Gucky Gown floating all alone in his pool ninety miles out of town. I still love to read about the bee watchers the most.

"Well, the bee-watcher-watcher watched the bee-watcher. He didn't watch well so another Hawtch-Hawtcher had to come in as a watch-watcher-watcher! And now all the Hawtchers who live in Hawtch-Hawtch are watching on watch watcher watchering watch, watch watching the watcher who's watching that bee. You're not a Hawtch-Watcher you're lucky you see!"


If you haven't read Dr. Seuss in a while, I encourage you to check out Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? You might pick up a new appreciation for the good Dr.






No comments:

Post a Comment